Wednesday 29 October 2014

Wildcat Snarl

Wildcat

It has been extremely busy over the past few weeks here, and I have had little time to take any photographs... but when I have, experimenting was what I was doing. I have a couple of photos in my head which I am very keen to get, and am just working out the best way to do it. One is of a wildcat snarl and strike.

Above is the closest I have got, but work is needed. The light was non-existent and finding a background that works in the pen is very difficult. I think it may have to be a snow shot if we get it this year. Two things I have learn't thought are... 1. Use the fisheye lens (as above). The wide angle just didn't give the effect I wanted, but this does make the background harder to get. 2. Wear a glove! :-)


Wildcat

While setting up I took a couple of simple portrait snarl shots.


Wildcat

And a simple one to get the settings right for the fisheye lens.


Pine Marten

Another thing I was experimenting with was the pine martens. They are looking really good at the moment in their longer coats. The tricky things with this are the pens are not too great for photography, and the light is on Bonnie's pen in the morning when they are more afternoon animals.


Pine Marten

We got somewhere though, and I think we found a nice area to work with...


Pine Marten

This spot has potential for something.


Pine Marten

But still needs a bit more work.


Running Weasel

Another experimentation was a running weasel, this had to be done in the run to get a straight head on shot, but is difficult... and I mean really difficult! Above was on f/2.8 and ISO 3200. Even then the shutter was not really fast enough and I will happily admit, that the above was a lot to do with luck! It was very dark though, so with some light I think it is possible.


American Mink

A couple of photos from a few I took of one of our mink. I have never really photographed them before, but Mindy, our female, was out a week ago in the morning so I took the opportunity to get a few snaps.


American Mink

Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. That weasel shot is amazing! Such shallow depth of field and the face right in the focal plane. A lot of photography has to do with luck. It's either luck or persistence, both if possible. Keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete